What a turnout it was at Politics and Prose for the reading and discussion by Judy Heumann (https://time.com/5793652/judith-heumann-100-women-of-the-year/) of her new book, Being Heumann (https://www.politics-prose.com/book/9780807019290). The place was packed, and all the books sold out, as she read passages from her book and held a dialogue with former government official and rights attorney John Wodatch about her many accomplishments, including the 504 Sit-in. I saw several people I know there, and many other activists and allies who turned out for this great event.
Coming back down to earth, it’s Developmental Disabilities Awareness Month, and here are a few reminders about upcoming local events:
· On March 11, it’s Quality Trust’s Better Together annual reception - https://www.dcqualitytrust.org/better-together-reception-2020/
· On March 12, the Family Support Council’s bimonthly public meeting - https://dds.dc.gov/event/family-support-council-public-meeting-march-12-2020
· On March 13, the Supporting Families Community of Practice meeting - https://dds.dc.gov/event/supporting-families-community-practice-march-13-2019
· On March 19, the quarterly public meeting of your DD Council (https://ddc.dc.gov/)
· On March 30, the big Developmental Disabilities Awareness Month celebration - https://dds.dc.gov/event/dds-developmental-disabilities-awareness-month-celebration, and
· On March 31, DDS will brief on its proposed budget for 2021 - https://dds.dc.gov/event/dds-budget-forum-flyer
Surely you can make it to at least one of these! If I’ve missed another local event, please leave a comment!* And get ready for April, when the DD Council will host its second annual Autism Awareness and Acceptance Month event – watch this space!
* An earlier version of this post said there would be a Project ACTION! (https://www.dcqualitytrust.org/families/join-project-action/) meeting March 14, but I've since learned the March meeting has been cancelled – next ones are April 4 and May 16 – come, join and learn!