I was formerly an executive in the federal government and am the parent of a young person with a developmental disability in the District. Among my current advocacy efforts is a blog, DDinWDC.blogspot.com, which addresses issues affecting D.C. citizens with developmental disabilities and encourages others to get involved in opportunities for reform. I am not a journalist and this is an entirely volunteer effort on my part. Your campaign’s answers to the questions below will be posted on my blog before the November 4 election:
- What do you believe has been the District’s most significant accomplishment of the past five years to support adults with developmental disabilities?
- What is your #1 priority once the Evans case has been closed?
- As mayor, would you support reintroduction of the Developmental Disabilities Reform Act? If so, why? If not, why not?
- Would you retain the current director of the Department on Disability Services if you are elected? If not, what attributes would you look for in a new director?
- As mayor, what specific work or educational initiatives would you promote for adults with developmental disabilities in the District?
- Are there policies or practices in other jurisdictions with respect to adults with developmental disabilities that you would like to encourage in D.C.?
Carol A. Grigsby